torstai 30. lokakuuta 2008

Mutantti

YO YO HO HO!!!

My point of view on the things that went on in the studio. The week spent in Petrax was awesome. Sauna every night, a few beers almost every night and I didn’t have to worry about recording anything that was going to end up on the final album. When Tomppa and Samppa played their ultimate and unforgiving beats I just jammed along. If I didn’t feel like playing, I just didn’t. I went downstairs and watched TV or took a shit.

At Villvox for the most of the recording, I had an underlying sense of anxiety and stress (and a few suicidal ideas) because I had to go to work during this whole time. There just wasn’t any way I could have had a few extra days off. But when the week of the guitars being recorded was nearly over, I was free for the weekend. And when I finally got to concentrate on recording my parts, I WAS ON FIRE!!! I don’t have so much to say about the sounds and how we made it (somebody turned the knobs and I said when it was ok) or even the order I played the songs (I can’t even remember), but I think I did a pretty good job.

This time around I really think that my playing has been unchained. No holds barred!! In fact everyone’s playing is OUT OF THIS WORLD!! I have been given the freedom to play whatever I wanted to play, still keeping the essence of the song in mind. The long period of rehearsing for the album was really us crafting our parts, so that in the studio there would be no worries about playing. But sometimes when I thought about the songs in my head over and over, I was concerned that maybe I don’t have all the twists and turns of the songs sorted out. And “what the fuck should I play on that part that comes right after the chorus before the ending riff” or something like that. But when I had my guitar in my hands and we were recording, the whole thing just flew out of me onto tape. I was just the instrument for the music to flow through. There is one solo in particular that I didn’t have a clue of what I would play, but when I got to it, it was just wild. And playing acoustic guitars long into the night was enjoyable. Blaablaablaa….

So, I am very thankful of this opportunity to leave my legacy in the world. This is something that is going to live on long after I’m gone. And I am completely satisfied of the result at this point. I can’t wait what it will sound like when Jules gets to throw his honey-soaked voice in on the mix!!!

And also I had my attempt at growing a studio beard. It was something really strange, it grew only on my right cheek… But I am a mutant…

Ei kommentteja: